Lowest Leather Prices:
We pride ourselves in having among the lowest wholesale leather prices. Our catalogue is our wholesale price list; and our wholesale pricing is available to everyone with a resale license or a wholesale club membership. (Please see "Ordering Information," on page 9 for information on how to become a wholesale club member.) Where not stated, additional discounts are given for larger volumes.
We have the best guarantee in the business and we back that guarantee up with action. Our intent is to act as your onsite purchasing agent to meet your needs. Accordingly, we have a couple of very unusual policies that are a reflection of this "code of ethics". For most orders (exceptions can be larger, negotiated priced items) we pay freight in the "Lower 48" for orders over $75 which are being shipped via UPS.
We allow you 10 days after receipt to give us a call if the leather does not meet your expectation and we will send a UPS call tag to pick up the leather with no freight charges for you!!! (We reserve the right to modify this policy for special orders and special pricing negotiated via phone)
Our policy can most easily be summed it in a few ancient words, "We try to treat you, as we ourselves, would expect to be treated under the same circumstances."
Siegel of California is Strictly a Wholesale Supplier:
We don’t process our leathers in any way and do not compete with manufacturers. When suppliers are also manufacturers, they have the advantage of keeping the best skins for their production. Purchasing from manufacturers/suppliers could actually help your competition.
Protection of Industry Standards:
We are leaders in the protection of our National Security Stan-dards. We always represent and denominate the leathers accurately. You can trust that our English Bridle is the genuine article from J & E Sedgwick in England.
Expert Witness Work- CV of Steven Siegel
Steven Siegel is the third generation of the oldest Leather Merchant Family in the USA, established in 1917 in Boston, MA. Through our nearly 90 years we have developed extensive relationships worldwide. We have always been in the same business.
The leather district of Boston was, at that time, the center of trade for the entire world, and anyone wanting to deal with anything in leather or other goods (importing or exporting) would go to the South Street merchants.
Steven Siegel was trained in the leather business from an early age; starting in the 1950’s. He typically worked school holidays and summers in the family business. Steve's grandfather, Morris, who started the business was his mentor as well as his father and his uncle who were also in the business. The business on South Street when Steve grew up and learned the trade first hand, represented on the “Street” virtually every important tanner and merchant in the USA. The business model as developed by Steve’s grandfather consisted of buying processed hides and reselling them to manufacturers for anything that required leather. M. Siegel developed a huge exporting business as leather was shipped to such areas as Cuba, Lebanon and parts of Europe.
Steve’s father, Harold Siegel, has a BS degree in Chemical Engineering, specializing in rubber chemistry which has many similarities to leather chemistry. Harold was famous for bringing the company to the next business phase due to his particular knack for evaluating and developing specialized leathers. From Steve’s father, a lot of technical experience and creativity was passed.
Steven Siegel has an extensive background in the physical sciences including some of the following:
- Research assistant at Tufts New England Medical Center working on an artificial heart program under the guidance of Dr Harry Soroff (cardiologist)
- A.B. Boston University, Mathematics, research in an Organic Chemistry group working with Adamantane (a viral inhibitor)
- M.S. University of California, Davis, Physical Chemistry, thesis “ Optically Detected Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Some Biopolymers”, research director, Dr August Maki
Steven Siegel formed a similar Leather Merchant business in 1979 in Santa Barbara, CA. Built customer base from zero, to current base of approximately 15,000 accounts.
In the past 30 years, Steven Siegel has traveled worldwide, in many countries inspecting, examining, testing, comparing leather strengths and developing leather for a wide variety of applications using the skills and methodology developed over 50 years, all the time increasing his knowledge of the trade.
Some of the highlights of the specialized leathers, which Steven Siegel has developed or sourced, are:
- Archival Book Binding Leathers specially tanned per Mr. Siegel’s specifications to last many generations. These leathers required the skills, methodology developed over a lifetime of experience in the family business, educational background and extensive evaluations, examinations, comparisons of leathers to direct a tanner to modify his techniques to meet Mr. Siegel’s requirements. These leathers have been used in such places as:
- The US Library of Congress
- Harvard University
- Columbia University
- Stanford University
- Specialized mechanical leathers for the equestrian trade. The proper selection of these leathers required the skills, methodology developed over a lifetime of experience in the family business, educational background and extensive evaluations, examinations and comparisons of leathers Some of the highlights of these applications are:
- Tack for winners of 12 Kentucky Derbys
- Specialized leather for trick riders in Las Vegas, NV
- World renowned professional polo players such as Memo Gracida, Sebastian Merlos, and other names upon request
- Military Spec leathers such as:
- Leathers used in anti-gravity suits for US fighter pilots
Some of the endorsements, which Steven Siegel has been given, are from:
- NY Mounted Police Department; “…we’ve tried leather from everywhere else, but only Siegel’s can give us the quality that we desire…”
- Ken Vogt, telephone 718.805.3235
- Bo Derek, actress
- Ramon Becerra, trick rider and horse trainer to the stars, telephone number on request
Miscellaneous accounts of note:
- Walt Disney, leather for “Pirates of the Caribbean”
- Leather for Custom Saddle for President Bush
- Leather for Custom Saddle as birthday president from President Reagan to his wife Nancy
- Casa Fagliano of Argentina, famous custom boot maker with clients such as HRH Prince Charles of England
- Craft Restaurant, NY award winning architectural design for use of our leather
- Exclusive supplier of J&E Sedgwick of Walsall, England supplier of Genuine English Bridle
In summary, the sum of a lifetime of experiences gained from his grandfather, father and uncle, the educational background in the sciences and years of examining, comparing, and evaluating for strength and other appropriate properties gave Steven Siegel the unusual and extraordinary leather skills and methodology, which he possesses today and uses in the leather industry.